Thursday, May 8, 2008

An Open Letter to US Congressman Mike McIntyre

DOITMIKE! Below is a letter I sent to Mike McIntyre, a US Congressman in the State of North Carolina and from my hometown of Lumberton, NC, asking him to support Obama.







Mike,

My name is Jedidiah (Jed) Gant and I grew up in Lumberton, North Carolina. Shortly after, I went to school at UNC Charlotte and then accepted a job in London working for a Dutch architecture firm. After spending a couple of years overseas in one of the largest cities in the world, I moved back to North Carolina and now live and work in Downtown Raleigh. I have always lived in highly concentrated urban areas since leaving Lumberton but my parents and little sister (who is in high school) still live there. Therefore, a large piece of my heart is still in the city I was reared in.

If there is one thing I have learned in my years in the big cities and traveling the world, it is that respectable leadership and concern for social issues are high on the list to keep a stable society. Living in the UK during Bush's term was nothing short of dreadful. America's reputation was scarred by this administration and I saw it around me daily. The international community must know that our country is serious about it's role in the world in the near future.

It is for these reasons that I would encourage you to vote for and endorse Senator Barack Obama. He represents a progressive future for our country and its relationship on the world front. Obama understands the concerns that face the urbanite like myself as well as the small town family (like my own). I would like for my little sister and children to grow up in a world of hope. A world of peace. A world of progressive politics. I think supporting Barack Obama is a giant leap in this direction.

Sincerely,

Jedidiah Gant

No comments: